Limited on time? Make these healthy and easy Red Cactus “America’s Sweet” Salsa Chicken Fajitas in only 30 minutes for a quick and delicious Mexican dinner tonight!
Chicken fajitas are a a very popular meal in many homes. Not only are they juicy, flavorful and healthy, they’re also ready to eat in only 30 minutes! Cooking good food in that amount of time is totally possible and does not have to be complicated. Case in point- this delicious 30 minute Red Cactus Chicken Fajita recipe.
From start to finish, these Red Cactus Fajitas should take you 30ish minutes to make. We suggest having all of the tools you’ll need (cutting boards, measuring spoons, knives, bowels, etc…) and the ingredients in front of you ready to go if you want to make the most of your time.
A QUICK CHICKEN FAJITA MARINADE
The first thing you’ll want to do is slice the chicken into thin strips. This helps reduce the amount of time needed to cook the chicken. Then, chop a handful of cilantro until you have around a 1/4 cups worth. If you have cilantro left over, save it for topping your fajitas when they are plated. Add the chicken and cilantro to a large mixing bowl and toss together with the following ingredients:
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon- cooking oil, minced garlic, chili powder
- 1 teaspoon- ground cumin, dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon- coarse kosher salt or sea salt, paprika, ancho chili powder
Cover and set the bowl aside to marinate while you slice the peppers and onions.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN FAJITAS
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in a tablespoon of coking oil and the chopped peppers and onions. Add a dash of salt and cook for 8 or so minutes until the veggies are soft and tender. Remove them from the skillet, place in a large bowl, cover and set aside. In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of cooking oil and the marinated chicken. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Add the cooked peppers and onions back to the skillet, mix together with the chicken and add 1/2 to 1 jar of Red Cactus “America’s Sweet” Salsa (mild, medium or hot) and voila! Your Red Cactus Chicken Fajitas are officially done! Isn’t that the easiest thing ever? We served these Red Cactus Chicken Fajitas with corn tortillas warmed directly over a flame, but you can use flour tortillas as well, or on top of salad greens.
30 MINUTE RED CACTUS CHICKEN FAJITAS RECIPE
Author: Red Cactus USA
Prep time: 14 mins
Cook time: 16 mins
Total time: 30 mins
FOR THE MEAT AND QUICK MARINADE
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (juice of one lime)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon course kosher salt or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
FOR THE PEPPERS AND ONIONS
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 2 bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 1 large poblano pepper, sliced into strips
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 1 pinch of salt
- Red Cactus “America’s Sweet” Salsa in mild, medium or hot
- Guacamole, avocados, sour cream, shredded cheese, Red Cactus White Cheese Sauce, Red Cactus White Salsa Con Queso, chopped cilantro, black olives and Red Cactus “America’s Sweet” Salsa in mild, medium or hot.
- Add all the ingredients for the quick marinade in a large mixing bowl. Toss together until chicken is coated with spices. Cover and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil. Add the peppers, onions, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, or until the veggies are soft and tender.
- Remove from the skillet, place in a large bowl, cover and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of cooking oil to the same skillet. Add the marinated chicken and cook for 8-10 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked.
- Add the peppers and onions back to the skillet, toss together with chicken, add Red Cactus “America’s Sweet” Salsa, stir, cook for another minute or so and remove from heat.
- Serve in warm flour or corn tortillas and top with sour cream, guacamole and/or avocado, Red Cactus White Cheese Sauce or White Salsa Con Queso, black olives, shredded cheese, Red Cactus “America’s Sweet” Salsa in mild, medium, or hot, and remaining chopped cilantro.
- Make sure to slice the chicken into thin strips to help reduce the overall cooking time.
- If you want to marinade the chicken longer than 2 hours, leave out the lime juice. if you marinate chicken in lime juice too long, it can start to affect the texture of the chicken and break down the fibers in a negative way.
- Storage: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.