Chilly or chili, this winter the choice is yours. If you ask us, nothing is greater than the snow falling outside with the windows steaming up from a big pot of chili cooking away inside. The aroma itself is enough to satisfy an army of hungry people. As if the scent carried the food straight to your belly. Unfortunately that isn’t how eating works, but it may be something to tie over your hungry friends or family until you can all sit down for the feast. Everyone has their own take on chili and to argue about who has the best chili is like arguing about the best movie or song or piece of art. Some people say beans, others are adamant that beans do not belong in chili. Some people like thick, chunky ingredients while others prefer a near water consistency. Whatever your flavor, this coffee-stout beer chili is a must try, if nothing more than to use this recipe as a base and expand to create something all your own.
When we look beyond the product sales and beyond having our salsa products on shelves across the nation, we see what is important. For over two decades, Red Cactus-USA has been creating a product that keeps our customers and their health at the top of the priority list. Through the day-to-day, what is important is how we impact our community, our staff and our customers. What began as a jar packed with sweet heat salsa has become a vehicle for healthy healing and access point into giving back to the community. Reading our Facebook reviews, it is clear through testimonials that our salsa has helped people who were gluten-intolerant, have suffered from acid-reflux, or were conscious of the food they were eating and wanted to steer clear from highly processed packages. Our line of products promotes healthy eating and we love to share recipes that promote creativity as well as a healthy lifestyle full of smart choices. From our mild to our hot salsa, from our queso to our peppers, we value fresh, non-gmo sourced ingredients.
Coffee-Stout Beer Beef Chili
- olive oil, drizzle
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1.5 lb ground beef (use ground turkey as a healthier alternative)
- Generous pinch of pepper
- Generous pinch of salt
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 30 oz kidney bean, 1 can
- 28 oz crushed tomato
- 1 Red or green bell pepper
- 1 jar of your favorite Red Cactus salsa
- 1 jar of Red Cactus jalapeños
- 8 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ tablespoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup water
- 1 can of your choice of stout beer (we prefer the one from Ireland)
- 1 cup of coffee
- 1 cup of chocolate
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- fresh chives, chopped
- Red Cactus White Cheese Sauce
- In a large pan, brown ground beef (or ground turkey). Lightly season with a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Once browned, remove the beef and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy bottomed pot, add oil and butter. (Note: It is important that the pot has a heavy bottom to help distribute the heat evenly over time and keep the ingredients from burning.) Add onions and a tablespoon of sugar and cook until caramelized.
- Once caramelized, add the browned beef to the onions making sure to scrape the brown bits into the pot. Cook for a few more minutes, stirring to combine.
- Add the spices- chili powder, cumin, paprika, and red pepper flakes. Using a wooden spoon, mix the pot to coat the contents with the spices. Deglaze with stout beer of your choice. Stir.
- Add kidney beans, bell pepper, jar of Red Cactus salsa, jar of Red Cactus jalapenos, crushed tomatoes, coffee and chocolate. Stir and bring contents to a boil. Cover, turn down heat and let simmer for roughly an hour. Check every 15 minutes to give a stir and make sure nothing is burning or sticking to the bottom of the pot.
When you are ready to serve, heat a jar of Red Cactus White Cheese Sauce and place it on the table along with garnish options of sour cream, chives, and shredded cheddar cheese. Having more guests than you thought? Adding to the coffee-stout chili is simple, just expand the base. Once the pot is at a simmer, adding another can of crushed tomatoes may be all you need to increase the serving size. Additionally, adding another half a can of beer, another bit of chocolate and maybe some more kidney beans wouldn’t hurt either. As with many dishes, chili is an easy one to stretch, tweak and use as a base for something magical. Who knows, maybe you will be walking away from that next chili cookoff with a trophy and a grin!
At Red Cactus, we love community and being a good neighbor. We encourage you to send us your recipe ideas, stories from around the dinner table and photos from the table of your dishes using Red Cactus products. Our team knows that food is the quickest way to a healthy life and lifestyle and we take pride in not only promoting a healthy product, but promoting a healthy life. With gluten-free and non-gmo products on shelves across the country made from garden-fresh ingredients, we stand behind our mission to help others. Not only do we reach out to our customers but Red Cactus-USA founder, Steven, has committed his life to outreach and a mission he calls, “From the Cactus to the Cross.” Part of carrying out his mission is to continually visit churches or meeting centers to speak and share stories of how he started the company, but more importantly, how he began his journey of serving. If you or someone you know is interested in having Steven speak to your group, church or at a conference, he can be reached at 217-653-8147 or by email at email@example.com. To learn more about Red Cactus-USA and our mission, be sure to check out our About Us page and keep up to date with the latest and greatest on our Facebook page.