Has the doctor told you it is time to cut back on your sodium intake? Well have we got the salsa and dips for you. From our mild to our hot salsa line, Red Cactus-USA offers an amazingly delicious, and life changing blend of garden vegetables, jalapeños, and spices all with a sweet taste. Our customer Valorie wrote us to say, “Thank you, thank you, thank you for THE BEST salsa – ever! I suffer from a medical condition where I have a gazillion more taste buds than most people and as a result, I can’t eat foods that have a ‘bite’ to them. Yours is the first salsa I am able to eat without my mouth burning from pain. So, thank you!” Knowing that we not only provide a healthy product but promote a healthy lifestyle is an important factor for us at Red Cactus-USA.
How does sodium impact your body?
Well first, we need to understand what sodium is. According to the American Heart Association, sodium is a mineral which can occur either naturally in food or can be added during the manufacturing process. More than three-fourths of sodium we consume is in processed foods instead of naturally occurring. But many people think salt is sodium and use the two interchangeably. However, salt, or table salt, is a combination of sodium and chloride, used in food for preservation reasons or as artificial enhancers. Fortunately, the human body needs sodium for various operations, however, that is a small amount. Too much sodium can have lasting effects that can be detrimental to the body.
Can sodium intake be toxic?
According to the U.S. Dietary Reference Intakes, yes. But what can the overconsumption of sodium do to the human body? The Chronic Disease Risk Reduction Intake has been established based on evidence that high amounts of sodium can lead to health issues including:
- Water retention- as sodium collects, the body holds onto water in an effort to dilute the sodium. Because the amount of fluid surrounding cells as well as the amount of blood in the bloodstream. More blood means more work for your heart and blood vessels.
- High blood pressure- this abundance of work on the heart and blood vessels can lead to an increased amount of pressure which in turn can lead to heart attacks, stroke and heart failure.
- Cardiovascular Disease- this is a condition that affects the structures and functions of your heart causing abnormal heart rhythms.
- Chronic Kidney Disease- this means your kidneys are damaged and can not do their job of filtering blood the way they should.
- Osteoporosis- Due to the departure of calcium from your body during urination, which increases with sodium consumption, calcium can leach out of the bones and into the blood, according to the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
How can you cut back on sodium?
According to the Mayo Clinic, there are several ways to reduce sodium intake in our daily diets.
- We can opt for low-sodium products by identifying packaging which says ‘sodium-free’ or ‘low sodium. Other labels to be aware of say reduced or less sodium.
- Eating more fresh foods limits the amount of sodium that is used in the processing of most other food and acts as a preservative. While celery and beets are one example of fresh foods that contain natural sodium, most fruits and vegetables naturally contain trace amounts. Fresh meat, for instance, is also low in sodium instead of processed meats like deli meat, hot dogs or bacon. If you are looking to cut down on your sodium intake, it is important to read the labels.in many recipes, including casseroles, soups, stews and other main dishes that you cook. Look for cookbooks that focus on lowering risks of high blood pressure and heart disease.
- Use fresh herbs and spices to flavor foods other than processed condiments. Just watch your salt intake.
What salsa products are low in sodium?
Red Cactus-USA Salsa from our shop in Hannibal, Missouri is gluten-free and cares about our customers. When we look beyond the product sales, beyond the salsa, and look at how it has impacted our community, our staff, and our customers, it is clear that it is a vehicle of flavor and a vehicle for healthy healing. Our Facebook reviews are filled with testimonials about how our salsa was one of the only things they could eat during recovery because of the health benefits.
At Red Cactus-USA, we know that food is the quickest way to a healthy life and lifestyle. As a result, we pride ourselves on promoting a healthy product that helps shift people away from unhealthy eating habits. Not only are our products gluten-free, they are made with ingredients from our garden-fresh vegetables, keeping them low in sodium, non-gmo, and ingredients which lower acid-reflux. To stand behind our mission to help others, we have to stand behind a product that also helps people’s lives and livelihoods. Not only do we reach out to our customers to promote healthy eating through good ingredients, our owner Steven has continued his outreach mission, “From the Cactus to the Cross.” He continues to visit churches or meeting centers to speak and share stories. It is all in the name of encouraging others to serve and pursue a healthy lifestyle. If you or someone you know is interested in having Steven speak to your group, church or at a conference, he can be reached at 217-653-8147 or by email at [email protected]. To learn more about Red Cactus-USA and our mission, be sure to check out our About Us page and keep up to date with the latest and greatest on our Facebook page.