In a world of processed food, making a conscious effort to eat healthy is more important than ever before. And nothing is better than garden-fresh vegetables or food from your local farm stocked at your local grocer. That is why Red Cactus-USA makes salsa that is one of the healthiest salsas on the market. Since our humble beginnings in Quincy, Illinois, and now Hannibal, Missouri, our salsa company has grown into a business with nation-wide distribution and customers. And each step of the way, we have focused on creating a healthy product. The Red Cactus-USA company believes that a well-balanced diet paired with thoughtful eating is one of the most important things you can do to lead a healthy and fulfilling life. What we eat plays an important role in day to day lives and we pride ourselves on making products that not only taste great, but keep us feeling great too. Our salsas and dips are gluten free, do not create the same acid-reflux triggers as other salsas.
Options in the food world are nearly endless and the best part is combining flavors to find new, exciting combinations. Paying attention to what we consume helps us realize not only the good food that exists in the world, but also the bad food that can weigh us down. When we focus on eating more fruits and vegetables and when we take an interest in our daily diet, we are taking control of our health and how we feel. Of the many dishes, the quinoa power bowl is one of our favorites because it is packed with high protein and vitamin-rich ingredients. If you are looking for a healthy dish to jump start your health kick and is easy to make, the quinoa power bowl is a quick and easy solution with an infinite number of ingredient combinations.
Quinoa Power Bowl Recipe
- 1 ½ cups quinoa
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
Prep other ingredients:
- 1 jar Red Cactus-USA salsa of your choosing
- 1 can black beans, cooked in pot on stove
- 1 cup fresh corn, cooked in pot on stove
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of Red Cactus Seasoning
- 1 red pepper, chopped and cooked if desired
- ½ cup Red Cactus jalapeno or banana pepper
- ¼ cup scallions, chopped
- 1 bag of baby spinach, cooked down
- ¼ cup sprouts or microgreens
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into small cubes
- 1-2 cups mushrooms, cooked
- Drizzle of olive oil, optional
- 1-2 Eggs, we prefer fried or hard boiled
- Shredded chicken
- Pulled pork
- Or any protein topping of your choice
Note: The best part of the power bowl is combining flavors. Try adding different vegetables such as broccoli or kale. Additionally, all the vegetables can be cooked together adding your favorite spices in the process.
- Making the quinoa: Add the quinoa, water (or vegetable broth), salt, to a saucepan over medium-high heat. Mix and put the lid on, bringing to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and cook for 10-15 minutes, keeping an eye on it so it doesn’t dry up and burn. At this point you are trying to cook off all the liquid and have it absorbed into the grain. Once cooked, take off the heat and let it cool. Fluffing with a fork helps.
- While the quinoa is cooking and cooling, prepare the vegetables of choice. In a frying pan, add the desired vegetables you wish to cook, separating from those you wish to keep raw. It’s a good rule of thumb that things like mushrooms and red peppers take longer to cook than, say, the bag of spinach. Add your ingredients in stages starting with a base of cooking oil. For a healthy alternative to olive oil, try coconut or sunflower oil. Add onions, red peppers, mushrooms. Let cook until nearly tender (or desired consistency.) Next, you’ll want to add your salt, pepper and any flavoring. With a jar of Red Cactus salsa, we enjoy the flavors of cumin and chili powder that help accentuate the sweet heat of the salsa. Then add black beans and corn. Stir the mixture. Cook to heat through.
- Add ½ cup of your Red Cactus pepper of choice along with ½ to one jar of your Red Cactus salsa of choice. Continue to heat, stirring to mix flavors.
- While the mix is heating, prepare the eggs to your preference.
- Assemble the Quinoa Power Bowls: first, create a base with the quinoa in a bowl. Add any additional salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture over top of the quinoa. Garnish with avocado pieces and chopped scallions. Top with your egg(s).
If you are looking for a quick healthy solution for breakfast, lunch or dinner, the power bowl is essentially a vehicle for flavor. Adding our salsa provides the acid and flavors perfect for a nutrient-packed feast.
Every product at Red Cactus-USA is gluten and trans-fat free, which means it can be used in countless ways. From a topping to a dip to a key addition to flavor a dish, our White Salsa Con Queso, our White Cheese Sauce, our Sweet-N-Zesty Salsa Con Queso, to any number of our salsas, can be used to spice up your next meal. Check out more of our recipes and share some of your favorites with our team. We love when our customers and fans use the Red Cactus product in new and creative ways and share them with others. Send them over to our team for a chance to win a case of salsa and share your specialty meals with others!