Red Cactus Spaghetti
What do we have here? Only the most delicious spaghetti EVER. When Mexican food meets Italian, you get layers of pasta, seasoned meat blended with sauce, salsa, and simmered to perfection then topped with parmesan cheese.
From our delicious blend of garden vegetables, jalapeños, spices and sweet sorghum syrup in our mild Red Cactus salsa to our gluten-free, trans-fat-free Red Cactus White Salsa Con Queso dip, we work hard to bring you a product like you have never tasted before. Since April 1995, we continue to create and perfect sweet salsa that all began with a recipe from owner and founder, Steve Lehenbauer’s sweet Aunt Gracie. Years later, the tradition of the low sodium salsa recipe lives on, creating a base for our company which has products in stores throughout the country. We know that a strong base in tradition works hand-in-hand with creating food or inspiring many of the new dishes we see today. One such dish which stems from tradition is spaghetti, a traditional sauce-like dish originally and commonly found in Italian cuisine.
Our Red Cactus Spaghetti is cooked with Italian sausage and/or ground beef, then topped with a homemade sauce that has simmered to perfection. You can top it off with Parmesan cheese or eat plain. Either way, it will make for one great lunch or dinner.
Red Cactus Spaghetti
Course: Dinner, Lunch
Total Time: 1 hours 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons Red Cactus Seasoning
- 1/2 to whole jar Red Cactus Salsa
- 2 lbs Italian sausage, casings removed (mild or hot) or 1 lb ground beef and 1 lb sausage, or 2 lbs ground beef, your preference
- 1 small onion, chopped (optional)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups water (for a long period of simmering for flavors to meld. If you don’t want to simmer it as long, add less)
- 3 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 – 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 lb thin spaghetti
- parmesan cheese
- In large pot, brown Italian sausage (or ground beef), breaking up as you stir.
- Add onions and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until onions are softened.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, Red Cactus Salsa and water.
- Add basil, parsley, brown sugar, salt, Red Cactus Seasoning, crushed red pepper, and black pepper.
- Stir well and barely bring to a boil.
- Stir in red wine.
- Simmer on low, stirring frequently for at least an hour. A longer simmer makes for a better sauce, just be careful not to let it burn!
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Spoon sauce over drained spaghetti noodles and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Time saver option: Mix a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce and a jar of your favorite Red Cactus Salsa for a quick sauce alternative!
From Red Cactus mild salsa to our White Cheese Sauce, to our Sweet-N-Zesty Salsa Con Queso, all of our products are gluten and trans-fat-free. Our recipe page shares more of our favorite dishes and meals shared with us over the years by people like you. By serving healthy alternatives, we continually make a conscious step on our journey to keep people healthy. We also feel that working together can empower one another to continue doing good work throughout our communities. Have a healthy recipe you think would be loved by others? Send it over to our team for a chance to win a case of salsa! Have comments or suggestions? Get in touch with our team to share your feedback. We’d also love for you to join dozens of others who have shared how they use and enjoy our products in your everyday life.
Enter your zip code below to find a store near you that carries Red Cactus! Or order online!