Red Cactus Taco Lasagna – Layers of lasagna noodles, Red Cactus salsa, taco meat, and cheese. Comfort food at its finest!
This Red Cactus Taco Lasagna recipe is so easy and is a casserole that freezes well. When Mexican food meets Italian, you get layers of pasta, salsa, seasoned taco meat and lots and lots of cheese. It has only 7 ingredients and is a crowd pleasing cheesy Mexican dinner! This recipe is great topped with some guacamole, Red Cactus Salsa, sour cream and Red Cactus Cheese Sauce, Red Cactus Hot-N-Sweet Pickled Jalapeno Peppers or Red Cactus Sweet Pickled Banana Peppers.
This taco lasagna could not be simpler. We were skeptical that with such few ingredients that the flavor would be good but it came together even better than expected.
WHAT IS TACO LASAGNA?
Unlike other Mexican lasagnas that use tortillas, this one uses lasagna noodles making it a true lasagna. We like the one with tortillas too but to us those are called layered enchiladas. Maybe we will add that recipe (with a twist) at some point.
HOW TO MAKE TACO LASAGNA
Mix a little ricotta with an egg for your lasagna-ness. We added some cottage cheese too. Take it or leave it. Start by layering your lasagna noodles. You can boil the noodles or use the no-boil noodles like we did. We actually opted for gluten free oven-ready noodles. There’s a fine line between lazy and efficient and we like dancing on it from time to time. Spread your ricotta mixture over the noodles.
Sprinkle a layer of taco meat mixed with Red Cactus Salsa on top. The sauce in this Taco Lasagna is your favorite salsa. We chose to add our Red Cactus Medium Salsa to the taco meat. Sprinkle a good helping of cheese on top and sprinkle with Red Cactus All Purpose Seasoning. Then repeat the layers twice. See! So easy.
Another great thing about this Taco Lasagna is that it freezes great!
RED CACTUS TACO LASAGNA
Author: Red Cactus USA
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 35-ish mins
Total time: 45-ish mins
FOR THE CHEESE
- 1 egg
- 1 (15-oz.) carton ricotta cheese
- 1 carton cottage cheese (optional)
- 4 cups 1 lb. shredded cheese
FOR THE MEAT/SAUCE
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (1-oz.) package taco seasoning and/or Red Cactus All Purpose Seasoning
- 1 jar Red Cactus Salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- Guacamole, avocados, sour cream, shredded cheese, Red Cactus White Cheese Sauce, Red Cactus White Salsa Con Queso, chopped cilantro, black olives and Red Cactus “America’s Sweet” Salsa in mild, medium or hot.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, brown beef until no longer pink. Drain meat and add the taco seasoning and or Red Cactus All Purpose Seasoning. Stir until combined and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the egg and ricotta and stir until combined.
- In a 9×13 baking dish, start by layering 4 lasagna noodles on the bottom of the pan. Next, layer 1/3 of the ricotta, 1/3 of the beef mixture, 1/3 of the salsa, and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat the layers 2 more times.
- Bake covered for 30-40 minutes or until the casserole has heated through and is bubbly. Let casserole stand 10 minutes before cutting. Top with all your favorite toppings!
We use oven ready or no-boil lasagna noodles to save time. You can use regular noodles as well, just boil them before preparation.
It’s important to cover it tightly when baking. This will steam the noodles with the salsa.
Freezing: This freezes great! To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator for 8 hours and then bake as directed.
- Source: adapted from Taste of Home
Enter your zip code below to find a store near you that carries Red Cactus! Or order online!